When I was 25 I moved to UK. I had been seeing a British guy for a while and the long distance relationship was draining our wallets. After few months we started to talk about me moving to London and we set a date for it to be the end of 2005. In December 2005 my boyfriend had bought me a surprise trip to Paris for my birthday – it was great but how little did I know…
On one frosty night we were walking next to the river Seine. Notre Dame was behind us and the sky was clear. Suddenly my boyfriend dropped down on his knees and popped out that question which made me choke for the next two days “Will you marry me…?”. The first thing that came to my mind was pure panic. I told him to get up, I hugged him so he wouldn’t see the terror in my eyes and gasped “yes, ok, I will marry you”. After that I didn’t say a thing… I felt horrible. I explained that I was just in a shock and that I didn’t know how to handle it, but that I would be fine after a night’s sleep.
Next day came and I was still feeling horrible. I was lying on the hotel bed listening my boyfriend talk with his mother that we are getting married… I felt like I had swollen a stone. That day was pretty much the marking point for our relationship because after that everything started to go wrong.
I explained to him that I was not ready to get married just yet and that the timing was horrible because I was just going to move to UK in few weeks… He said he understood, but I could see that his heart was broken.
Well, on Christmas I still moved to UK and we got a … well… not so lovely apartment from west London. The apartment looked nice and had a nice garden, but it was freezing cold… There were huge gaps between the doors and windows and our electricity bill must have been enormous. There were spiders everywhere (yeah, I know, how disgusting!) and in general, it was not a nice place to live. The first few months were not that nice… I was anxious and going through a major cultural shock. Sex died completely and my days consisted of crying, eating and sleeping. I gained so much weight in those first few months (and I am still battling to get rid of the kilos).
After some time I managed to get me a job which seemed to be the thing that really saved my life. I made great new friends there and I started to regain myself a bit. We had some crazy house parties in the apartment before we moved out in the summer to this beautiful apartment in South London.
Outside we were the ideal couple but inside we were just two people living with each other that had nothing in common. In the autumn of 2006 I was introduced to FFXI (an online game) which I got very addicted to for a while. That was the last nail to our coffin called relationship really. I spent all my free time killing goblins and talking to strangers online and I pretty much let my relationship wither away. But I have to say that it wasn’t 100% my fault… I think the effort was lacking on both parties. I met a nice guy online which I went to see in US for a 2 week holiday. It was love at first sight and we swore that we would eventually live together.
Well, spring 2007 I moved to live on my own because me and my boyfriend didn’t want to keep up the appearance anymore. It was a hard thing for me to deal with because I had never lived in UK by myself and I started to ask myself questions such as: “Why would I stay in UK now?”
No comments:
Post a Comment